The first thing is to feel again,
then tomorrow we shall make something strong
out of this great sadness.
Free first-time phone consultation. Consultation, Psychotherapy with adults and elders, Clinical Consultation and Supervision; Classes and Workshops
Free first time phone consultation
For people who are considering engaging in psychotherapy with me, I offer a free initial phone consultation, of up to 30 minutes. This is an opportunity to begin to get a sense of who I am and how I work. Talking on the phone that first time can also give you a chance to find out how comfortable you are with me. You might choose to let me know a bit about what prompts you to look for therapy at this time. It is also a way to discuss practical matters such as any paperwork you might need for an HSA or insurance company, and my fee.
I meet with people as a consultant, for short periods of time, when they are trying to decide:
- Whether to go into psychotherapy
- Which kind of psychotherapy might be helpful for them
- How to address having a family member, friend or loved one who is struggling with grief and loss, medical illness, or severe mental illness.
I have been successful in helping people struggling with:
- Anxiety, and panic attacks
- Mood swings
- Body related issues
- Life transitions and changes, including migration
- Issues related to culture and diversity
- Loss, and grief
- Spiritual issues
- Trauma and dissociation
- Unconventional perceptual and thought experiences
How long any psychotherapy lasts depends on a number of factors; it may be as short as a few months or continue for a few years. I generally meet with patients long-term, providing sessions once, twice, or multiple times a week, depending on their need and preference.
I am always willing to explain and discuss why I might recommend any particular frequency, style, or length of psychotherapy. You are, of course, free to choose whether you follow my recommendations; this is something we can always usefully reflect on and talk about together.
Clinical Consultation and Supervision
Since 2003, I have been providing clinical supervision and consultation to licensed therapists, trainees and interns. I currently supervise/consult for the Wright Institute. Supervisees meet with me weekly; consultees meet with me weekly, or at a frequency that fits their needs. They may meet one-on-one, or as part of a group.
Classes, workshops and trainings
Since 1998 I have been providing workshops and training for clinicians on:
- Working with trauma and dissociation
- The role of the body in psychotherapy
- The body in aging and the elderly
- Somatic awareness
- Working with psychosis
- Clinical approaches to crises
- Since that time I have also been providing workshops for teachers, caregivers and crisis-workers on:
- Stress, Burnout, and Vicarious Traumatization
- Understanding self-harm and suicidality.